The Business Center is located in D209 Engineering Quad, and manages the day-to-day financial tasks in support of departmental and sponsored research activities. The team is comprised of two Assistant Grants Managers, two Purchasing Support personnel and one Business Manager.
The Business Center provides departmental support to faculty, researchers, students and staff.
- Financial Information - balances and chartstring budgets
- Purchasing requests - ordering on sponsored and non-sponsored projects
- Building access - Salto and CACS
- Capital Assets
- Sponsored Research
Assistant Grants Manager:
- Responsible for proposal submissions as well as award administration for MAE home-based faculty and researchers - see the Doing Research in MAE page for more information.
- Provide monthly portfolio overview, including internal and external awards.
- Assist with chartstring expeditures ensuring compliance with both University and Sponsor guidelines.
- Resource for policy and procedures for MAE as well as the University and Sponsors.
- Assist Business Manager with the implementation of departmental processes and changes to workflow, policy or procedures as required.
All order requests should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and your assigned purchasing contact will manage your request.
- URGENT orders should be designated as such in the subject of your email, or sent a follow-up message to your assigned purchasing contact after the initial order is placed via the purchasing email.
- If you are an approved cart creator, you may create a cart in the marketplace and forward it to your assigned purchasing contact.
- You can view available and suggested vendors in the PRIME portal.
- Reference materials for buying & paying for goods and services can be found in the Information and Training button on the PRIME portal.
- Laboratory supplies should not be out-of-pocket expenses unless in emergency situations and be prepared to provide the necessary backup.
- Computers cannot be purchased on a personal or University credit card - always route the requests to the purchasing listserv. See the computer policy here.
- Threshold Approval Form (Required for all orders with a total of $5,000 or more)
Travel and expense reimbursements are submitted through Concur and should include the requied information to allow for expedient processessing. Multiple, un-related expenses may be included on a single expense report - please do not route multiple reports with a single item on each report.
- As per the travel policy, expenses must be routed within 30 days from the date of the transaction. Do not wait to route advance expenses (hotel deposit, airfare, registration) after your trip or they may be counted as taxable income.
- If you hold a University netid you have been automatically granted access to Concur.
- Concur can be accessed from the PRIME portal or www.princeton.edu/concur or travel.princeton.edu.
- Reference materials for travel and expense can be found in the Information and Training button on the PRIME portal, and a new one-page guide will be available soon.
IMPORTANT: You must assign an expense approver before you can route a report through Concur. You will receive an error if you do not. Your Concur approver is your supervisor or faculty advisor and the faculty assistant is your expense delegate. Contact a faculty assistant for assistance.
- When submitting expenses you will need to obtain the full chartstring and enter it in the allocation tab for each expense before submitting the report. You will never have a program and a project in a chartstring.
- You MUST complete the Business Purpose for each line item - it should always answer Who/What/Where/When and Why - example: You have a meal expense, your last name should be first such as: Smith/meal/talk @ APS Mtg/SanDiego/Nov2019