UC Davis: Tenure-Track Faculty Positions
Tenure-Track Faculty Positions
Applications are encouraged from candidates with a strong background in any current or emerging area that will fit within the Spaceflight Engineering disciplinary focus, including (but not limited to): space systems design and integration, satellite (including CubeSats) design and testing, spacecraft propulsion engineering, re-entry trajectory, heating, and heat-shield design, space radiation modeling, sensing, and protection, spacecraft human-systems integration and safety, surface landing, in situ resource utilization, surface excavation and construction, space robotics, planetary/moon surface vehicles, orbital debris modeling, astrodynamics, or space mission design/systems engineering.
Applications are due by December 31, 2020; apply here: JPF03779.
Advanced Aircraft Mobility
Focus areas for this MAE/ITS-Davis joint position include, but are not limited to, Urban Air Mobility (UAM) aircraft, electric Vertical Take-Off and Landing (eVTOL) aircraft, aircraft design, computational and experimental aerodynamics, electric (battery, fuel cell, and hybrid) aircraft propulsion, and autonomous and remotely-piloted electric aircraft. The candidate is expected to have a strong background in system integration as applied to one or more of these areas, plus a strong background in traditional aircraft design principles.
Applications are due by January 31, 2021; apply here: JPF03784.
For Both Positions
We are searching for innovative and collaborative researchers who would seek interdisciplinary collaborations within the department, the college, and the campus. Candidates must have a Ph.D. degree or equivalent in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or a related field, and a record of excellence in research that complements or extends existing research strengths and the potential to attract extramural funding.
Candidates must demonstrate potential or evidence of ability to teach well at both graduate and undergraduate levels and to develop and teach undergraduate and graduate courses or seminars. Participation in department, college, and university service is an expectation under our faculty shared governance model.
We seek candidates who aspire to help advance UC Davis’ strategic goal of improving access and building an inclusive community for all marginalized populations, and who demonstrate commitment to, or strong potential for commitment to the advancement of diversity, equity, and inclusion for historically underrepresented and marginalized student communities. We seek candidates dedicated to educating a student body rich in diversity with respect to gender, ethnicity, first-generation status, socioeconomic status, and academic inclusiveness. candidates dedicated to educating a student body rich in diversity with respect to gender, ethnicity, first-generation status, socioeconomic status, and academic inclusiveness.
Please review the full position description, which provides guidance on application requirements and recommendations to strengthen your application and links to relevant websites for further information about UC Davis.
How to Apply
For full consideration, applications must be completed by the deadlines specified in the position descriptions. Required application materials include a cover letter, CV including publication list, research and teaching statements, a statement of contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and names and contact information for three reference.
Assistant Professor of Teaching Position
The Assistant Professor of Teaching title (with an official title of Lecturer with Potential Security of Employment (LPSOE)) complements the research-focused Professor series at the University of California with an emphasis on excellence in teaching and student-centered efforts.
Appointment conveys membership in the Academic Senate and, contingent upon promotion, security of employment that parallels tenure. Individuals holding the title are expected to be outstanding teachers, engage in professional development, and provide service to the Department and the University in the areas to include pedagogy, assessment, curricular innovation, and/or program accreditation.
Appointment is to an academic year (9-month) post at the rank of Assistant Professor of Teaching series (also known as LPSOE). Award of a PhD or equivalent degree is required by the date of hire.
- Ph.D. or equivalent degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, engineering education, or related fields.
- Evidence of, or potential for, commitment to the advancement of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for historically underrepresented and marginalized student communities, and how this commitment integrates with a career in education
- Commitment to a career in teaching mechanical and/or aerospace engineering as demonstrated by evidence of, or potential for, excellence in some or all of the following:
- Teaching of engineering undergraduate courses
- Engaging and supporting first-generation or under-represented students
- Improving the mechanical and/or aerospace engineering curriculum
- Improving student engagement and learning
- Innovating in instruction for positive effect
- Developing new courses
- Teaching project-focused courses
- Facilitating student engagement with engineering industry
- Supporting educational program certification through assessment, intervention, and continuous improvement
- Evidence of and potential for engagement with professional networks (e.g., in teaching, pedagogy, engineering technology, or professional activity
- Evidence of commitment to public service, including community engagement
Applications Due February 15
For full consideration, applications must be completed by 02/15/2021 but will be accepted until 4/30/2021. Appointment will be as early as July 1, 2021. Application packages should be submitted online through https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/JPF03910 and should include the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Statement on Teaching
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Contact information of 3 persons to be contacted for a letter of reference on your behalf