Ocean Mechanical Engineer - Makai Design Group
Makai’s design group is interested in receiving resumes from talented graduate Ocean or Mechanical engineers to fill an available position. The position is in Makai’s design group which has project responsibilities in design of unmanned underwater vehicle (UUV) design and development, numerical modeling, Seawater Air Conditioning (SWAC) systems, deep seawater pipelines, and Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC) plant components. Within the group, design responsibilities will be varied and the mechanical design engineer may have responsibilities on multiple projects simultaneously. The ideal candidate will be a trained ocean or mechanical engineer with strong analytical skills and skills in computer modeling of physical systems.
Some limited travel outside Hawaii and aboard contractor vessels may be included. This is a permanent, full-time position in beautiful Waimanalo, Hawaii.
- Possession of U.S. citizenship is required.
- Willingness and ability to obtain a Department of Defense Security Clearance is required; persons with clearances that are active or were previously held and currently in good standing are strongly preferred.
- Possession of one or more graduate degrees (M.S. or Ph.D.) in ocean, mechanical, electrical, or related engineering field is required. High GPA strongly preferred.
- Ability to think logically and communicate and present ideas clearly and concisely verbally and in writing, including for technical reports
- Strong computer programming skills are a big plus. Knowledge of the following software is desirable: Matlab, SolidWorks, ANSYS, Orcaflex, and CFD packages.
- High level of technical curiosity to enable unique solutions to design challenges.
- Ability & interest to learn & apply new technologies to support innovative designs.
- Previous experience that has provided exposure to engineering design, and technical/project management (4 years or more).
- Demonstrated record of being self-motivated and working with minimal supervision
- Experience providing input to technical proposals for new R&D funding
- Keen interest in and demonstrated experience developing and applying numerical models to understand, predict and control behavior of complex mechanical systems is a big plus.
- Ability to write and edit technical reports and test results in clear, concise language
- Experience in related fields such as electrical engineering, signal processing, optics, autonomous control or machine learning is a plus.
- High degree of intellectual curiosity, willingness to learn new technical skills and flexibility to support innovative projects that may be initially “out of your comfort zone”
- Practical experience working in engineering, construction and/or at-sea is a plus