Assistant Teaching Professor/Associate Teaching Professor/Full Teaching Professor (Full Time) in Social Sciences - University of Michigan - Shanghai Jiao Tong University Joint Institute (UM-SJTU JI)
The Liberal Arts Division at the University of Michigan- Shanghai Jiao Tong University Joint Institute (JI) seeks to fill a non-tenure-track teaching faculty position in social sciences at the assistant or associate teaching professor level.
Founded in 2006, the Joint Institute (JI) represents a strategic global partnership between the University of Michigan (UM) and Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU). The Chinese Government and partner universities are fully committed to developing JI as a world-class institute for engineering education. In 2014, JI was the first Chinese institution to win the prestigious Andrew Heiskell Award for Innovation in International Education—one of the highest honors in international higher education. In a short time, JI has become a model for Sino-American educational collaborations. JI currently offers two engineering majors, Mechanical Engineering and Electrical and Computer Engineering, and students can also take a minor in Business Studies.
The Liberal Arts Division provides general education to undergraduate students and is currently seeking applicants to teach elective courses in social sciences. Candidates who work in the following fields are particularly welcomed to apply: art history, anthropology, economics, psychology, or sociology. A PhD degree in hand is required.
JI operates on a three-semester schedule, and the successful candidate is expected to teach six courses a year, two courses per semester. All coursework in JI is delivered in English on our Minhang campus in Shanghai, China.
- Design and teach (primarily) introductory level undergraduate courses in the candidate’s discipline
- Maintain office hours
- Prepare and conduct classes, design homework, and supervise examinations
- Guide Teaching Assistants for recitation classes and grading
- Maintain a course website containing teaching materials and information
- Participate in program development and other common non-teaching duties
- PhD in relevant discipline required
- Minimum one year’s experience teaching at the undergraduate level
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in China and/or in working with Chinese students
- Experience teaching engineering majors preferred
- Competitive starting salary, based on education and experience
- Health insurance
- Housing cost supplement
- One-way air ticket reimbursement
- Chinese language courses
To apply for this position, please send the following materials to Dr. Tong Xu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Cover letter stating your interest and teaching philosophy relevant to the position (please also mention where you learned of this position)
- Diploma of highest degree obtained (photocopy)
- Names and contact information of three references who can supply confidential letters of reference directly to search Chair and/or JI Human Resources
- All attachments should be named starting with candidate’s family name